Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Language Centre

General Information for applicants

Admissions requirements

If you want to come as an exchange student to Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin for a period of time, please send your application to HU International HU International.

If you want to apply to study full-time at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, please send your application to the Admission Office for International Students.
For the latter application to be considered, you must also prove that you are sufficiently fluent in German because all Bachelor courses are taught in German.
This proof can be provided by

  • the DSH-2 (German Language University Entrance Examination for Foreign Students),
  • the TestDaF exam with a score of at least 4 points in each of the four exam parts,
  • the telc C1 Hochschule exam
  • a C2 Certificate of the Goethe Institute.

If you want to sit the DSH at Humboldt-Universität, you must first prove that you have reached C1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, by a document from a language school, by TestDaF with at least 3 points in all 4 parts or by telc C1 Hochschule with a telc C1 Hochschule „sufficient“ score.
Once this proof has been provided, you will be invited by the Studienabteilung to take the exam.


The DSH is subject to the exam regulations passed by the Language Centre and registered with the German Rectors' Conference. For further information see the Language Centre's exam regulations (PDF, in German) and the DSH information.

You can find a sample DSH test under following links:

Course registration

On your matriculation at Humboldt-Universität (as full-time or exchange student) you are eligible to attend language courses at the Language Centre. You can enrol for them on the Semester Courses or Compact and Intensive Courses websites from a specified time during the first week of each semester after you have done the online placement test.